Therapeutic Work with Syrian Refugees:
(A one-day conference )
Thursday 20 June 2019
This one-day conference aims to create a space for therapists and other mental health practitioners working therapeutically with Syrian refugees to reflect, interact and share insights and experiences with one another.
Sessions will include talks by the international expert Professor Renos Papadopoulos, by Anne Burghgraef, clinical director of the Leeds-based charity Solace, along with other clinicians and researchers.
A Syrian refugee will also reflect on his/her personal experience of receiving therapy. There will be plenty of time for discussion and reflection.
The conference is coordinated by Dr Alison Summers and Dr Mustafa Alachkar, both consultant psychiatrists and medical psychotherapists, and organised and hosted by Rethink Rebuild Society, a Manchester-based charity working with Syrian and other refugees.
- Research findings in Manchester and Lancashire: Mustafa Alachkar, Alison Summers, and Faten Sabouni
- Overview of learning from UK practice: Anne Burghraef.
- Panel discussion: Perspectives on therapeutic practice in the UK.
- Working with Syrian people in Syria and Turkey: Omar Said Yousef (on Skype)
- Psychosocial therapeutic interventions with refugees: Professor Renos Papadopoulos
- ‘Fishbowl’ group discussion with speakers and participants
Standard £50; Students £30.
Please register below.
A limited number of free tickets are available for refugee therapists of all nationalities. Please email (email@example.com) to request a free ticket or any further information.
After 1st May 50%, After 1st June 25%, After 15th June: no refund.